Alan MENKEN “Under the Sea” from The Little Mermaid
Johann STRAUSS II The Blue Danube, Op. 314
John WILLIAMS “The Shark Theme” from Jaws
Alan MENKEN “Part Of Your World” from The Little Mermaid
Felix MENDELSSOHN Hebrides Overture
Claude DEBUSSY Jeux de vagues from La Mer
Lin-Manuel MIRANDA “How Far I’ll Go” from Moana
Bedrich SMETANA The Moldau
Artists, programs, and dates are subject to change.
Make a splash with the Portland Symphony Orchestra as we explore music inspired by the sea and its marvelous creatures! Guest Conductor Kyle Dickson and co-host Janet Duffy-Anderson, Chief Scientific Officer from the Gulf of Maine Research Institute dive into a fun concert celebrating our seas, rivers, and oceans while learning ways to protect our watery ecosystems. Sing along to tunes from Disney’s The Little Mermaid and Moana and enjoy popular works by John Williams, Strauss, and more as we take a trip “Under the Sea-phony”.
Discovery Concerts are designed for families with children ages 4-12, but are enjoyable for all.
Enter our art contest for the chance to win free tickets!
- PARKING: Parking is available in several nearby lots. There is limited street parking in the area. Accessible parking for patrons with disability permits is available on both sides of Myrtle Street and on Congress Street in front of City Hall. Parking spaces are in high demand in Portland. Please allow sufficient time before the start of a show to find a parking space. View more details here.
- WHERE DO I GO FIRST: Begin in the lobby to pick up or purchase your tickets from the Box office. If you have already received your tickets in the mail or have mobile tickets, you can go straight into the auditorium. If you are there before 2:00 PM, be sure to check out our Instrument Petting Zoo and Podium Hero!
- PRE-CONCERT ACTIVITIES: Come early and enjoy a hands-on Instrument Petting Zoo, Podium Hero conducting lessons, and fun under the sea activities with GMRI! Pre-concert activities begin at 1:00 PM, and the lines for the Instrument Petting Zoo and Podium Hero will close at 1:45 PM.
- SNACKS AND BEVERAGES: Per the City of Portland, no food or drink is allowed in Merrill Auditorium. There are water fountains located in the lobby, and concession stands on the first floor of Merrill Auditorium will be open.
- PICTURES AND VIDEOS: Unfortunately, taking video of the PSO musicians is strictly prohibited but photography is allowed and encouraged!