To Be Announced
The epic film compositions of John Williams are a superb example of heart- pounding storytelling through music. This concert features Williams’ greatest hits. No other composer has taken us on more adventures using the transformative power of music.
John Williams is perhaps the United States’ greatest living composer and very likely the most well known film composer of all time. Williams’ incredible filmography lists some of the most famous films of all time including Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Superman, all 8 Harry Potter movies and all 7 Star Wars movies (so far!). Hang on, there’s more; four Indiana Jones movies, E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, NBC’s Sunday Night Football, the themes to 4 different Olympic Games and the original theme to Gilligans Island. Somehow, this is still just a small part of the incredible body of work that John Williams has produced for which he has received 5 Academy Awards, 7 BAFTAS and 22 Grammy Awards. Basically, if you have ever seen a movie, it’s very likely John Williams wrote the music to it and if he didn’t, someone who loves John Williams did.
This performance is appropriate for learners in grades 3 to 5.
- AT THE CONCERT: You do not need tickets for the concert — your group will be identified by the group name that you provided. For performances at Merrill Auditorium, seats will be assigned by Portland City staff. All seating requests will be considered but not guaranteed, depending upon ADA-accessible seating needs and group sizes. Please plan to arrive no later than 15 minutes before the start of the program to allow for enough time to seat you and your students. Also, please make sure that everyone in your group is prepared to respond with their Group Name that you used when you reserved your tickets. Merrill Auditorium may not know where to seat your group if they are given the wrong information.
- BUS TRAVEL: If you are coming by bus, make sure the bus drivers know the route to the concert hall. For safety reasons, Myrtle Street is blocked off for buses only. As buses arrive, they are stopped in rows on the street. If a bus driver needs to drop the students off and then come back at the end of the concert, he or she will be directed by the public safety officials as to where to drop the students off and pick them up, generally on Congress Street right in front of the City Hall.
- CAR TRAVEL: If you and your group are arriving by car, public and street parking are available in the vicinity of City Hall. Please allow for ample time to park and walk to Merrill Auditorium.
- CHAPERONES: Please make sure that students are accompanied by an adult at all times while in Merrill Auditorium.
- PAYMENT POLICY: Please note that the PSO has a strict 30-day payment policy for tickets. Payment must be received at least 30 days before the performance, otherwise the reserved tickets may be released to the public. If your group requires more time to process a payment, please contact the PSO immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org
- CANCELLATION POLICY: All changes or cancellations to a reservation must be made at least 30 days before the performance. Any changes or cancellations received less than 30 days before the performance will not be refunded.
- CANCELLATION DUE TO WEATHER: In the event that a performance is cancelled due to inclement weather, attendees will be notified as quickly as possible and all tickets and ticket fees will be refunded.
Should your school district declare a cancellation or late start that prohibits a group from attending a PSO Youth Concert, contact the PSO immediately. A refund for your order including ticket fees will be processed within 10 business days. Please note: The PSO typically only cancels performances at Merrill Auditorium when the City of Portland declares a state of emergency and will often continue to perform in the face of inclement weather.