THERE Is ONE administrative POSITION open
THERE are two upcoming auditions
JOB SUMMARY: The PSO is seeking an experienced and detailed-oriented Finance Coordinator to assist with the daily financial activities of the organization. The PSO Finance Coordinator works in collaboration with the Director of Finance to record financial transactions such as preparing and making deposits, handling Accounts Payable and Receivable, maintaining financial records, processing payroll, assisting with the annual audit, and other tasks such as ordering office supplies and assisting at special events or concerts as needed. The Finance Coordinator will be working at a team-oriented organization and contributes to the overall mission of the PSO by accomplishing related results as needed.
The Finance Coordinator is a part-time position of approximately 22-to-25-hour workweek, non-exempt position with a starting pay of $28.00-$30.00 per hour depending on experience and education. We offer generous benefits and free tickets to most PSO performances.
The position is based at our downtown Portland office with some flexibility for remote work.
- Degree in business administration, accounting, finance, or relevant field experience. The minimum of an Associates Degree in Accounts is required.
- 3+ years of bookkeeping experience (preferably in the non-profit sector)
- 2+ years QuickBooks experience
- Excellent communication and math skills
- Team player mentality
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ideally experience with Evolution – Bangor Savings Bank’s payroll system
Please send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. All applications must be electronic, submitted as either a PDF (preferred) or Microsoft Word document. No phone calls please. Resumes will be reviewed as they are received, and the position will remain open until filled.
An Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of the Portland Symphony Orchestra to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, handicap, age, or veteran status.
Principal cello and assistant PRINCIPAL cello
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 17, 2021
Highly qualified musicians are invited to send a one-page résumé, due by Friday, November 5, with $50 refundable deposit check (payable to Portland Symphony Orchestra) and proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to:
Portland Symphony Orchestra
50 Monument Square, Floor 2
Portland, ME 04101
Attn. Martin Webster, Orchestra Personnel Manager
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Emailed résumés in pdf or Word, please. Deposit checks will be returned at the audition, or will be destroyed if your audition is cancelled on or before Monday, November 15, 2021.
Employment to begin during the 2021-2022 season as soon as the winning candidate’s availability and the PSO’s schedule allow. The PSO is a per-service orchestra offering approximately 80 services in the 2021-2022 season. Current scale for principal cello is $187.52 per service; scale for assistant principal is $156.26.
The Portland Symphony Orchestra is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. In an effort to reduce the financial barriers for auditioning musicians, there is financial support available through NAAS (National Alliance for Audition Support) grant programs for auditioning Black and Latinx musicians: https://www.sphinxmusic.org/naas-grants
The PSO requires all applicants for these positions to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Please include a copy of your vaccination card with your resume and deposit check. A copy may also be emailed to the address above.
The Portland Symphony Orchestra audition committee reserves the right to dismiss any candidate not meeting the highest professional standards.
The audition will be held at Merrill Auditorium in Portland, Maine.
REQUIRED AUDITION REPERTOIRE
SOLO AND CONCERTED WORKS
- J. S. BACH: One movement from any of the cello suites
- F. J. HAYDN: First movement exposition of either D Major or C Major concerto
- DVOŘÁK or SCHUMANN: First movement exposition of either concerto
- BRAHMS: Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat Major, Op. 83. Andante. All solos
- ROSSINI: William Tell Overture. Mm. 1 through 48
- SHOSTAKOVICH: Symphony No. 15. Movement 2. All solos
- STRAVINSKY: The Firebird. Ronde des princesses. Solo 4 mm. after Reh. 6
- TCHAIKOVSKY: Swan Lake. Scène (No. 4 in Suite). Solo 3 mm. before Reh. 31 through end of movement
- R. STRAUSS: Don Quixote. Theme and Variation 1
- BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 67. Andante con moto. Mm. 1-10, 49-59, 98-106
- BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 8 in f Major, Op. 93. Tempo di Menuetto. Trio-complete.
- BRAHMS: Symphony No. 2 in D Major, Op. 73. Adagio non troppo. Mm. 1-32; Mvt. 4. 244-263
- DEBUSSY: La Mer. Mvt. 1: 2 mm. before Reh. 9 through 6 mm. after Reh. 9
- MAHLER: Symphony No. 5 in C-Sharp Minor. Mvt. 2: Opening through end of m. 41; m. 188 through end of m. 221
- MENDELSSOHN: A Midsummernight’s Dream, Op. 61. Scherzo. Opening through 15 mm. after Reh. E
- W. A. MOZART: Symphony No. 35 in D Major, “Haffner”, K. 385. Movement 4, Presto. Mm. 134-181
- G. VERDI: Messa da Requiem. Offertorio. Mm. 1-47
Festival Youth Chorus
Sunday, NOVEMBER 21, 2021
The PSO is seeking talented young treble singers between the ages of 12-18 to sing in the upcoming spring performances of Bach’s St Matthew Passion on April 10th and April 12th, 2022.
This newly established Festival Youth Chorus, directed by Dr. Nicolás Alberto Dosman, will give young singers the exciting opportunity to join along ChoralArt, the USM Chamber Singers, and internationally-renowned vocal soloists as they perform at Merrill Auditorium with the full Portland Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Eckart Preu.
The Festival Youth Chorus will rehearse in Portland, Maine (time/location TBD), on Saturday mornings beginning on January 29th, 2022, and will continue through April 2nd, 2022, at which point they will join the full chorus and/or orchestra for rehearsals and performances at the following dates/times:
- Thursday, April 7th, 2022: 7:00pm-9:30pm (Chorus/Piano Rehearsal, Woodfords CC)
- Friday, April 8th, 2022: 7:00pm-10:00pm (Rehearsal, Merrill Auditorium)
- Saturday, April 9th, 2022: 10:00am-12:30pm (Rehearsal, Merrill Auditorium)
- Saturday, April 9th, 2022: 2:00pm-5:00pm (Dress Rehearsal, Merrill Auditorium)
- Sunday, April 10th, 2022: 2:30pm-5:30pm (Performance #1, Merrill Auditorium)
- Tuesday, April 12th, 2022: 7:30pm-10:30pm (Performance #2, Merrill Auditorium)
***Festival Youth Chorus members must be able to attend all rehearsals and performances.
Auditions will be held on Sunday, November 21st, 2021, from 12:30pm-6:00pm at Woodfords Congregational Church in Portland, Maine, found at the address below:
202 Woodford Street
Portland, ME 04103
***All those planning to audition MUST reserve an audition time slot and show up at least 15 minutes prior to their scheduled time.
COVID-19 SAFETY PROTOCOLS:
The Portland Symphony Orchestra requires all auditioning singers to be fully vaccinated with a CDC-approved COVID-19 vaccine prior to the audition date (Sunday, November 21st, 2021). Please email proof of vaccination status to FYC Assistant Director, Matt LaBerge, when you plan to sign up for an audition time. Proof of vaccination is required in order to reserve an audition time.
In the audition, singers will be required to perform pitch-matching and sight-reading exercises determined by the director, as well as the following excerpts from the St Matthew Passion score, available to download below:
- Audition Cut #1: Top Line, labeled “Sopr. in ripieno”, mm. 30-37
- Audition Cut #2: Top Line, labeled “Sopr. in ripieno”, mm. 76-79
Auditioning singers will perform both audition cuts a cappella and may use score if needed.
Music Practice Materials
For additional help learning the music of the above audition cuts, please see the following directions:
- Go to the following web page: http://www.cyberbass.com/Major_Works/Bach_J_S/bach_js_st_matthew_passion.htm
- Find the section column labeled “Movement”.
- Next to “Part I”, Movement “1”, you should see “Kommt, ihr Töchter, helf mir klagen”.
- To the right of “Kommt, ihr Töchter, helf mir klagen”, click the word “Children”.
- Music should start playing, and you can control the recording using the audio player below.
- In the recording, see the following time stamps in order to practice the audition cuts:
Audition Cut #1 (mm. 30-37): 1:07-1:43
Audition Cut #2 (mm. 76-79): 4:42-5:02
Text Practice Materials
A pronunciation guide for the German text will be posted shortly.